$DAL and $LUV are Leading Airline Travel Recovery
- Leisure Air Travel was the first to resume. Mentions of booking a flight for a vacation or personal trip began ticking up over the Holiday season and peaked around Memorial Day (seasonality here). Now pacing +5% QoQ.
- Work Air Travel is accelerating: +3% QoQ on a 90day Moving Average, but +9% QoQ on a 30day MA. These mentions are +34% higher YoY.
- There is some stickiness to road-tripping. While comprehensive “booking a flight” mentions remain -22% below 2019 levels, road-tripping mentions are 5% higher.
- International Travel Mentions remain low: not showing signs of improvement (actually lower YoY and QoQ).
- LUV is maintaining a slight edge in regard to Consumer Happiness and QoQ Demand growth, but DAL is close behind.
- While AAL is recording growing consumer demand, its ability to make consumers happy is failing. Sentiment has dropped -10% QoQ due to poor customer service. Tweets like this and this and perhaps our personal favorite. Demand is likely falsely amplified due to the growing number of complaints from consumers.
- UAL has the slowest recovery, but Consumer Happiness is stable and in line with the industry average.