Q3 Earnings Wrap Up — Profits & Key Takeaways
The AAPL call heard round the world is getting most of the attention right now. While it was a truly incredible trade, and shows the power of LikeFolio data, we know that our bread is typically buttered during the earnings season — and performance over time is king!
We had a lot of action in our famous Sunday Earnings Sheets — You know what that means — dive into the data and see how we did! Overall, this season was “good”… not “great” like we had in the Q2 season.
Here are some key takeaways:
- Market switched from strongly bullish to strongly bearish during this earnings season. Those are difficult seas to navigate. Everyone profiting in this environment should feel really good headed into the new year.
- LikeFolio purchase intent data continued to provide us with a statistically significant advantage. Except on stocks under $5…which we will likely stop officially signalling on, as they’ve never done us a whole lot of good.
- Entering positions on Monday at the close and holding them through Friday at the close performed much better than any other hold period.
- Stocks with a Bullish signal did much, much better if they had been beaten down by the overall market prior to the earnings call.
- We need to lean more on the YoY data than the QoQ data, especially for companies currently in “peak season”. This is what the “human eyes” did by using the Research Dashboard.
- The stronger the PI signal, the better the ROI. In fact, the profits we saw from stocks with triple-digit YoY PI signal were absolutely incredible (over +9% per trade!), as you can see in the last tab of the sheet.
Make sure to view each of the tabs! I think you’ll see some very clear trends that we can apply to the next earnings season quite nicely.
We have some excellent consumer insights from the holidays to start positioning on!
2019 is going to be an amazing year as we continue to dig into consumer trends on Main Street, before they become news on Wall Street.
Join us before the New Year — you’ll be VERY glad you did!